Summer is Coming
Well, hi there! It has been a while since I’ve done a blog post. I’ve been hunkered down at my computer, writing this summer’s release, Summer by the Sea! Editing is underway, and I should have it ready right about the time you’re unpacking your flip-flops and rummaging in the closet for that beach bag.
Summer by the Sea is about sisters, first love, and not always getting what we want, but sometimes ending up with exactly what we need. In the novel, Faith, the main character, faces many memories when she gets a chance to return to the seaside cottage of her childhood. That’s all I’ll tell you for now, but to get you in the summery mood, I thought I’d share with you my top ten favorite memories of summer when I was a kid. Can you relate to any of them?
1. I remember running barefoot outside all day until the sun finally set and the grass started to feel cool under my feet.
2. I caught lightning bugs. I punched holes in the metal top of a glass mason jar, and tried to keep them as pets, making beds of grass and leaves on the bottom of the jar.
3. I rode my bike down the big hill one street over from my house, and I remember taking my feet off the pedals and feeling the wind against my face on the way down the hill. I can also recall the burn in my legs as I had to ride back up on the way home.
4. I remember swinging by my knees on the U-shaped bar of my swing set.
5. I covered the end of the garden hose with my thumb to make rainbows against the sunlight.
6. I ran through the sprinkler in our front yard until the ground underneath the grass was puddled with muddy water, and I had to rinse my muddy feet before I could come inside.
7. There were days when I wore my bathing suit all day long.
8. I made my own special fort in the clearing in our back woods and named it “Camp Rainbow.”
9. My cousin and I opened a whole bunch of different cans of soda, mixed them together, and made new drinks in the pool house after swimming.
10. I rode around the block with all the other kids on the back of a local fire truck every summer during the town Fourth of July party.
I can’t wait to share Summer by the Sea with you! In the meantime, you may want to start packing your beach bag!
- Posted In: